I’m a new Travel nurse and have a verbal contract with Company A for a position that is to start in two weeks. I have not signed a contract as of yet. In the meantime, two great opportunities have come my way and both of these will also start at the same time as the first one. Since I haven’t signed the contract for Company A, am I still obligated to take it based on the verbal contract?
Thank you for reading The Gypsy Nurse.
I am assuming that you have already given a verbal agreement and possibly even have the contract in hand pending your signature. If you are entertaining taking another assignment after already giving your recruiter a verbal acceptance you should notify your recruiter of your intent right away.
I have dealt with this problem myself as it always seems like the ‘perfect’ contract or the contract that you were holding out for comes through after you have given verbal consent. I will assure you that this will not be the last time that this will happen in your Travel Nurse career.
I believe this is a question of integrity. As a professional, it’s important to maintain a certain level of integrity. If you expect others you deal with in the Travel Industry to have integrity in their dealings with you, it is your obligation to set the tone of that relationship.
Your verbal acceptance is no different than a written acceptance. When you verbally accept an obligation of any kind you are communicating to the other party “intent”.
If getting a written contract
or some other issue (variations between the verbal and the written) is what is causing you the cognitive dissonance, tell your recruiter that you are not willing to accept until you have an acceptable contract in writing.
I hope that this has addressed your question.
I love hearing the opinions of my readers. Your opinion could be the perfect solution for someone. Please share your thoughts below in the comments.