Halloween is coming quickly! Many people, travel nurses included, enjoy visiting haunted houses! There are so many haunted houses in the United States that it is difficult to know which are the best to visit while on assignment. So, we have done the hard work for you! Below you will find some great haunted houses in the US.
Pennhurst Asylum (Spring City, Pennsylvania)-
Pennhurst Asylum offers 4 haunted attractions including;
- Pennhurst Asylum- Pennhurst Asylum is home to some of the world’s most dangerous criminally insane. Opening Fall 2018, guests will be welcome to visit the infamous Max Security Wing. Guests will visit the cells of our most hostile patients and must navigate Maximum Security.
- Containment- Containment is a new attraction for 2017 that takes you through a 1,200-foot long gauntlet underneath the Pennhurst complex. Stationed as a government facility hidden underground for decades, you will bear witness to patients being experimented on in the most inhumane ways possible. Lucky for you, this research facility is still accepting patients! The brand new sets and scares of this attraction are guaranteed to produce horrifying screams and nightmares to come.
- The Morgue- From draining blood to incinerating bodies, The Morgue at Pennhurst is your full-service mortuary.
- Mayflower After Dark- The final attraction, Mayflower After Dark, is a self-guided tour of the Mayflower Building, reportedly the most ghostly active of all the locations on the campus. It’s featured on Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters. No actors or props, visitors are sent at their own risk to wander through the dormitory, left caught in the sands of time just as it was 26 years ago. Search for spirits on your own, or let them find you first. Included is a museum of Pennhurst State School artifacts with real former employees taking you back in time to what life was really like for the patients…
Each attraction has something different to offer the thrill seekers!
The 13th Gate (Brusly, Louisiana) –
The 13th Gate is known for its ultra-realism and prides itself on being one of the most detailed haunted houses. They offer more than just haunted houses. They also offer escape games and many other haunted attractions. They also offer nightly attractions and concerts throughout the season.
Haunted Overload (Lee, New Hampshire)-
Haunted Overload offers 3 Levels of Fear.
The Day Fear
Which offers a great opportunity to walk their haunted trails in the light of day. You will see the sets and amazing props without the scares.
Fright Night Lite
Which allows visitors to experience the lights and sound effects minus the monsters. This is the only scare-free evening. They say to come and meet their friendly characters and see the amazing artistry without being chased. This is also a great evening for children as well as adults.
Haunted Overload is the main attraction! It is an award-winning horror show. They pull out all the stops. There are twisted creatures around every corner. The haunted trails are one-of-a-kind that includes stunning sets and handmade props and costumes! It is not recommended for small children.
Scream Town (Chaska, Minnesota)-
Scream Town offers 7 massive haunted houses. So, hopefully one will fill your thrill seeker needs! These include:
- Zombie Apocalypse CDC –
- The CDC is in lockdown, and you’re in it. The dead have risen and are coming for your flesh. Prepare for attacks from all directions!
- Santa’s Slay- Just when you thought Christmas was a happy time of year, think again. You’ll be hiding under the tree this December. That is unless you stay forever with Krampus and all his evil elves.
- Crop Spawn- The landing has occurred, and little can be done. Navigate through this totally redesigned adventure of fear with life forms, not of this world.
- LUDICROUS LABYRINTH- Enter ludicrous labyrinth and be sure to drop some crumbs as you’ll be entering into an ACTUAL Maze with DEAD ends around every corner. Challenge yourself to see through the fog, flashing lights, and horrifying surprises. You’ll love it!
- Scream Town: Oak Blood Forest – Get ready to take a journey deep into our wild ONE OF A KIND thick haunted forest.
- Circus Asylum- After 5 long years, the circus folk residents of Scream Town became too crazy, their actions too wild, their appearance too terrifying, and most importantly, too many lives claimed.
- The Covent (VIP pass only)- The Convent is VIP only, and details are under wraps!
Each offers something different for visitors. With so many options therefore there is truly something for all types of thrill seekers!
Field of Screams (Victor, Montana)-
Field of Screams has many attractions for the whole family. For the older visitor, you will start out walking through acres of cornstalks over your head, with the fear that at any time, something may jump out at you. Go through fog-filled swamps, graveyards, clown-infested playgrounds, and possibly get chased by an insane chainsaw man who has been haunting the fields every Halloween season. Then to finish off this already terrifying nightmare, we’re bringing back our famous haunted Ghost Town.
Ghost town is included in the admission cost and is connected with the Field of Screams Haunt. So, don’t miss it!
Eastern State Penitentiary-(Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Eastern State Penitentiary offers Terror Behind the Walls! A haunted house within a real prison. They offer 6 different attractions!
- Infirmary- Infirmary takes the fear of hospitals to a whole new level. In this newly revamped and highly interactive attraction, you’ll encounter maniacal surgeons, dentists & nurses who are sharpening their scalpels for some unusual, unnatural operations.
- Blood Yard- The carnage sends a clear message: You could be next.
- Quarantine 4D- Flat walls appear to have depth, creatures emerge from (seemingly) nowhere, and some brave visitors will be challenged to face their worst fears.
- Breakout- Inmates surround you using every way imaginable to escape. Keep an eye out at every corner, as inmates may even be using YOU to aid in their attempt to gain freedom.
- Lock Down- Rioting zombie inmates have taken over, and zombie guards have lost control. The tables have turned.
- Machine Shop- Hidden deep inside the cellblocks is a long-forgotten machine shop. Evil pervades this space – an evil with one mind but with many bodies.
With so many attractions you are sure to find one that will scare you, especially since they are located in an old prison. The prison also offers daytime tours as well.
Mystery Mansion (Gatlinburg, TN)-
The Mystery Mansion invites you to join them in a terrifying excursion to explore this classic “turn of the century” haunted mansion. Let your fears awaken and discover the startling secrets of this dreadfully daunting domain. If you dare to step inside this once grand abode, you shall take an unguided tour finding your way through secret passageways, eerie dark corridors, winding staircases, and spine-chilling chambers that will curdle the blood of even the bravest of souls!
You never know what restless, rotting residents might be lurking around the corner in each foreboding room ahead! …or BEHIND YOU! Join us and Release Your Screams in Gatlinburg’s original haunted house! IF YOU DARE!
The Mystery Mansion is open year-round therefore you can visit anytime of the year!
Just have fun!
We hope that this article gives you a few options for haunted houses this year! While there are many many many more haunted houses in the United States, we wanted to give you a list of some of the top-rated ones from Google! Also, we wanted to make sure they were spread around the US.
What do you think?
Have you visited a haunted house recently? Do you have a great haunted house to recommend? Comment it below!
Finished the travel nursing guide and ready to look for an assignment?