We’re looking for Progressive Care Unit RNs for an immediate travel nurse opening in Wausau, WI. The right RN should have 1-2 years recent acute care experience. Read below for more requirements.
As a PCU Travel Nurse, you will care for patients who require close monitoring and frequent assessment, but aren’t unstable enough to need ICU care. Progressive Care Unit RNs will utilize computer equipment to monitor cardiac and other vital information, detecting any changes and thereby enabling intervention of life-threatening or emergency situations. Close observation is necessary as many PCU patients receive a significant amount of complex medications, sometimes through an intravenous line that may need to be adjusted or titrated. The PCU RN is sometimes also called a step-down nurse, and the PCU is also known as cardiac stepdown, medical stepdown, neuro stepdown, surgical stepdown and ER holding.
As a PCU Travel Nurse, you should be prepared to perform the following tasks:
- Provide basic bedside care; stabilize critical cardiac patients.
- Change dressings, insert catheters and start IVs.
- Prepare, administer and record prescribed medication, reporting any adverse reactions to treatment.
- Monitor and adjust specialized equipment used on patients, and interpret and record electronic displays.
- Initiate corrective action whenever information from monitoring equipment shows adverse symptomatology.
PCU Travel Nurses should be able to stand and walk for long periods of time, as well as bend, lean and stoop without difficulty. RNs should be able to easily lift 20 pounds. Moving or lifting of patients may require lifting of up to 50 pounds at times. Because of the fast-paced environment, Progressive Care Unit RNs must possess good skills for coping with stress and be able to relate to people of all ages and backgrounds.
Requirements*: ACLS, BLS, 2 Years
* Additional certifications may be required before beginning an assignment.
Travel Nurse Across America Setting the Standard in Service! At Travel Nurse Across America, we take pride in doing things differently. We place our nurses on high-paying jobs in exciting locations across the country, but it’s our service before, during and after your assignment that sets us apart. Our dedicated,… Learn more