This article provided by Supplemental Health Care.
We are incredibly grateful for the impact nursing has on all of us and considering the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s more important than ever to celebrate National Nurses Week in 2020. Although our festivities might look a little different this year, there are still plenty of ways to celebrate nurses this May 6th through 12th – and beyond!
Celebrate All Month Long
This “Year of the Nurse” commemorates Florence Nightingale’s 200th birthday which also marks the end of Nurses Week every year on May 12th. But why end the celebration there?
The American Nurses Association will mark the whole month of May in recognition of nurses with the theme “Nurses Make a Difference” this year. They will be dedicating each week to specific focuses like mental health, continuing education, and community. Check out the ANA website for more on weekly themes and activities.
Support the Frontlines
We can all agree that nurses definitely deserve some personalized praise right now! Hallmark is currently running a campaign to send millions of cards to healthcare workers during COVID-19. All you have to do is fill out your contact information on hallmark.com/careenough to receive your three free cards that can be used thank your fellow nurses for their dedication.
There are also plenty of other ways to show gratitude and help nurses out right now. Social media is a great way to share shout outs and stories. Consider sending food or coffee to local healthcare facilities, donating available supplies, and continuing to practice social distancing.
Take Advantage of Discounts and Offers
For those working crisis needs, there are plenty of housing and accommodation offers for healthcare workers across the country right now. Here are a few national options, but be sure to check out local offerings as well.
- Hilton is offering special rates to healthcare workers on the frontlines through the Heart of Hilton.
- Hotel Engine is helping provide lodging with discounts at many hotels typically discounted 15-20% off.
- Hyatt has a new rate program for healthcare workers at designated hotels nationwide with offer code ESSENT.
- Marriott is providing healthcare workers special rates with their Community Caregiver Program through June 30th.
Additionally, nurses may be interested in these offers for healthcare professionals that have been extended through Nurses Week or longer. Don’t worry – many annual Nurses Week deals are still going on this year too.
- Care.com has a month-long premium access offer for frontline workers seeking care for children, parents, and pets.
- Chipotle is offering free burritos for some healthcare facilities with submissions on May 6th.
- Dunkin Donuts is giving healthcare workers free donuts and coffee on May 6th as well.
- If you prefer Starbucks, they’re still providing nurses free tall brewed coffees throughout May.
- Talkspace is offering a free month to healthcare workers so you can check in on your mental health during this time.
- The Parking Spot is offering free parking for nurses at any of their facilities through May 12th.
- You can receive $20 off an EKO Core Digital Stethoscope with promo code NERDYNURSE.
With everything going on, Supplemental Health Care wants to send a big thank you to nurses everywhere for the compassionate care they provide every day. During Nurses Week and always, we are thankful for all that you do in service of others.
Let us know how you’re celebrating Nurses Week 2020 on social media! We’d love to hear from you.