Ever wonder what to do in New York City? You can find fun, inexpensive and free things to do in New York City. Are you a beer drinker? How about a Free Brewery tour? Explore a different neighborhood with a city walking tour of SOHO, Little Italy, The Brooklyn Bridge, or a Staten Island Ferry ride. Yes still FREE and much more…..
There is so much to do in NYC, and it can be expensive. Save your wallet and check out these free things to do. There is something for every interest.
Find Free Things to do in New York City
There are many museums in NYC that offer free admission. If history is your jam, check them out and take advantage of these free visits. Some of these are always free and others have special FREE days. Check the website for details.
- The New Museum
- National Museum of the American Indian – Always FREE
- Brooklyn Museum
- Bronx Museum of the Arts – Always FREE
- Museum of Modern Art
- Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art
- BRIC House
- Museum of Jewish Heritage
- Onassis Cultural Center
- New York Aquarium
Free Walking Tours
Plan your time off by exploring one of these free walking tours. There are some interesting places that you can explore in New York City for free. Be aware, some of these require pre-registration so plan ahead for those days off.
- Gracie Mansion
- Hamilton Grange
- Village Alliance
- Big Apple Greeter
- Chelsea Craft Brewing
- Saint Patrick’s Cathedral
- Grand Central Partnership
- NYPL’s Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- City Hall
If you’re lucky enough to be in New York City during warmer weather, take advantage and get outdoors. These places and activities offer free admission or free days to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Ping Pong in Bryant Park
- The Gowanus Dredgers Canoe Club
- Long Island City Community Boathouse
- Free fishing
- NYC pools
- The Downtown Boathouse – Kayaking
- NYC Fun Run Club
- Bootcamp at Bryant Park
Websites to Check
See what sounds fun to you. Find another traveler and get on your walking shoes! GO EXPLORE!!! No matter where you are!
- Club Free Time : Free things to do in New York City
- The Travelettes: 10 Things to do in New York City for Free
- Lonely Planet: 40 free things to do in New York City
Have you been to NYC? If you’ve visited any of these free things to do in New York City, let us know how you enjoyed them in the comments. Do you know of activities that we don’t have listed? Share them in the Comments below.