You’ve got the Interview…Now what? Check out these Travel Nurse Interview Prep questions provided by Rachel Shafer, BS, RN, BSN, Senior Recruiter at RNnetwork.
It’s important to remember when interviewing that you are interviewing the Hospital as much as they are interviewing you. Make sure to ask questions in order to find out if a Hospital is going to be a good fit for your Needs.
- What type of Patients do you have on your floor?
- What is the normal nurse to patient ratio?
- What is the average acuity of the patients on the unit?
- How long is the orientation process?
- Will there be any testing before I start my assignment? (EKG, medication tests, performance based tests, etc.)
- Will I be able to pick up any OT hrs?
- How is the scheduling done?
- How many weekends in a month are required?
- What floors do you float to?
- Color of scrubs?
- What charting/documentation systems are used?
- Confirm with Nurse Manager any mandatory time off needed during assignment.
- Is parking provided or do I have to pay for it? (especially in big cities)
Rachel cautions the Travel Nurse to remember the following before hanging up with the Hospital interviewer:
***Make sure to ask for the assignment before hanging up, if you want it!
Do not decline the offer on the phone! We (your agency) can do that for you if we can’t negotiate your requests or concerns.
***Remember to get the name and number of the Interviewer before hanging up so we know who to contact for your offer!***
**Try to take the call even if you are busy. Ask to hold on and walk to a quiet room if you are in a loud place. It is difficult to get in touch with a manager when you call back, and they may move on to the next candidate in line for interview!
You can find additional Travel Nurse Interview Prep Questions HERE.
Highway Hypodermics has a great print-out as well that you should check out!
Latest posts by TheGypsyNurse (see all)
- Travel Nurse Inspiration: Top of Mount Pisgah, Vermont - December 8, 2013
- Specialty Spotlight: High Risk OB RN - December 5, 2013
- What travel nursing means to me - December 4, 2013
- Weekly Nursing Vital Signs: December 2, 2013 - December 2, 2013
- Travel Nurse Inspiration: Brattleboro VT - December 1, 2013