By Teresa Posthumus
The Holidays can be a difficult time, especially when spending Christmas alone. Many of us feel a need to be with family and friends. Whether you are a new Gypsy or a seasoned Gypsy we can all feel lonely at times.
You can sit at home and feel sorry for yourself. YEAH Pity Party over here! Or you can choose to make the holidays a great time of the year with new friends and doing things you normally wouldn’t do. Step outside your box!
As a Traveling Nurse for 10 years I have found my selves away from family and friends at the holidays; many times. We may be alone but we do not have to be lonely. Often there are other Gypsy Nurses working in the same hospital as you or maybe some of the core staff has no family or friends around. Find them and make PLANS!!!
Enjoy every aspect of being a Gypsy Nurse. Look at the events page on the Gypsy Nurse website: many of the ambassadors are having Meet and Greet plans throughout the Holidays. Look in the local newspaper or online for your area see what’s going on- it’s amazing how many communities have holiday activities. And if no one else is planning something to do – Go for it make plans and invite others who would be alone; you’ll be surprised at how much fun it can be. Invite someone new over do something together inside or outside be creative. Don’t forget to share your pictures and ideas on the Gypsy Nurse website and earn some new beads.
Enjoy the Holidays!
- Invite others that will also be home alone over. Make a Christmas meal – have everyone contribute to the meal. I’ve done this many times and it is amazing how much fun we had. We each bought 10-$1.00 gifts and played a game I call dirty BINGO.
- You put enough gifts in the middle that everyone has an opportunity at acquiring 2 – 3 gifts: per person/round.
- Depending on how many people if there are more than 4 – I recommend using 2 sets of dice. You have 2 dice per set. Place the dice sets across the table from each other. When you roll doubles you take one gift from the middle. Continue till all the gifts are taken from the middle.
- Then set a 3 minute timer. When a double in rolled you steal a gift from someone else. You cannot take someone’s last gift. You continue rolling for 3 minutes at the end of 3 minutes everyone opens their gifts. I’ve seen some VERY creative individuals.
- Mix it up and have FUN Gypsy Nurses. You will end up with life long lasting friendships.
- Don’t feel like cooking? Grab some new friends find a restaurant that’s open go out to eat. Even if you have to go alone people are enjoying the holidays and it is amazing how rewarding spending Christmas in a restaurant with strangers. Also again people you will never forget.
- Dinner and a movie. Either by eating out and seeing a newly released movie that you have told yourself you would like to sees that one. Or fix something simple or elaborate for yourself at home and rent some movies.
- Do a total pamper yourself day. Soak in the tub – Don’t forget you salts, bath bombs, bubble bath or whatever else you may choose. Paint your nails. Enjoy.
- Volunteer at a food shelter for the day. Giving to others can be very rewarding.
- Invite a Serviceman’s family over that you know will be away from family and alone. Share your moments with others and what you get back will be so much greater than what you gave.
- Depending on where you are at. Get outside go for a hike. Find yourself a great spot to sit and read and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Make yourself some GOOD SPORTS DAY Munchies and sit down to a day of Fun filled sports with your favorite teams!
- If you want decorate with a few Christmas items to bring the Christmas Spirit inside. And then have yourself A GREAT Christmas Party with many new or old Gypsy Nurse Friends.
Happy Holidays! Get out and Explore Gypsies