Ask A Travel Nurse: State License

Ask A Travel Nurse: State License


Travel Nurse compact licensureGypsy,

As a travel nurse do I need a state license in every state I work in?

Thank you,
Sara RN


Thank you for reading The Gypsy Nurse. You have taken the first step on your journey to become A Gypsy Nurse.

The short answer is yes. There are a couple of exceptions to this general rule.  If you work for any government agency (VA or Military Hospitals), you can work on any state license.   The other exception would be if you are licensed in a compact state.  A compact license is good for work in any state that is part of the compact.  You can read more about compact licensing if this applies to you.

Most agencies will assist you in the licensing process.  As a licensed nurse , the process is not too complicated. It is mostly just a matter of providing the required paperwork, fingerprints and payment. The licensing requirements will vary from State to State. Check with the state Nursing Board to find out what is required in the state you are considering.

I love hearing the opinions of my readers.  Your opinion could be the perfect solution for someone. Please share your thoughts below in the comments. Do you have a question for me? Fill out the Ask A Travel Nurse form and submit your questions. In addition, if you like what you’ve read here don’t forget to SHARE.

(Disclaimer: Please note that this is the Authors opinion only. I do not provide career counseling, legal or medical consults. If you require any of these, please search out the appropriate resources)

What to Expect on Your First Day in a Travel Nurse Assignment – The Gypsy Nurse LIVE
Ask A Travel Nurse: Cancel a Contract